The hopes & hurry paid off and I did indeed finish my Ishbel in time for my wedding earlier this month. Finished... that is... with a wee bit of a technicality. The knitting was done in time for the wedding, yes, but the blocking and weaving in of ends wasn't. So, while I didn't have Ishbel there, wrapped around my shoulders, it still came to completion. Yes, it's a stretch, but I'll take it just to be able to be right.
This little project was probably not the best one to start with after months of worsted weight cobwebs crowding in my rusted knitting head. I should have started with a simpler pattern and bigger yarn. But I didn't, so this pattern (my first real lacework with actual lace yarn) was a bit plagued by problems from cast on to cast off, many attempts to back up and fix my work, and even more attempts to just keep going in spite of mistakes unfixed. And the gauge…. Ugh. I don't remember my gauge being off when I started, but it seems my "shawl" is much happier to live as a scarf tucked in around my neck.
Thankfully, I'm quite happy to oblige.
It really is a beautiful pattern, and I still hope to do it justice with a proper knit a second time around, but in spite of all my mistakes and misjudgements, I'm still quite smitten with all that it is, just as it is - messes and all.